Women's Health Now Popular Posts

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

More studies show drugs block HIV

More studies show PrEP prevents HIV infection

The evidence is mounting.  Another study has found that PrEP - pre-exposure prophylaxis – is relatively safe and can prevent HIV transmission in couples where one partner is already infected with the virus.
The data from the study, called the HPTN 052 trial, released Monday in the New England Journal of Medicine  at the International AIDS Society Conference in Rome.  Researchers enrolled nearly 1,800 couples in Botswana, Kenya, Malawi, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Brazil, India, Thailand and the United States.
Fifty-four percent of the couples were from Africa; half of the infected partners were men. Those infected, with CD4 counts between 350 and 550, were randomly broken into two groups. In one group, the infected partner received antiretroviral drugs when they were enrolled. In the other, therapy was delayed until after their CD4 count fell below 250, or they suffered an AIDS related illness.
CD4, or T-Cells are a type of white blood cell that helps the body fight infections like viruses and bacteria. The higher your count, the stronger your immune system which helps reduce complications of HIV. When the CD4 count falls below 200 a person has AIDS.
Researchers found for those who got antiretroviral therapy (ART) early, the rate of transmission dropped by 96% compared with those who were treated later. HIV transmission occurred in just 39 people. Twenty-eight of those were directly linked to the HIV-infected partner. Of that 28, only one was from the group that got early treatment. HIV patients that got early therapy also had less HIV-related illness.
"HPTN 052 demonstrated that early initiation of ART by the infected partner in heterosexual couples, where one partner is HIV-infected and the other not, is highly effective in decreasing transmission of HIV to the uninfected partner," said Dr. Anthony Fauci, director, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases  at the National Institutes of Health. "With these recent advances, we now have an unprecedented opportunity, based on solid scientific data, to control and ultimately end the AIDS pandemic. Of course, global implementation of HIV interventions, including the scale-up of the delivery of ART, must be accelerated, and this will be costly. A truly global commitment is essential. In this regard, major investments in implementation now will save even greater expenditures in the future; and in the meantime, countless lives will be saved."
The drugs used included Combivir, a combination of zidovudine and lamivudine; lopinavir and ritonavir or Kaletra–also known as Aluvia; and the combination tenofovir and emitricitabine whose brand name is Truvada. Last week, two different African studies, one of uninfected heterosexual men and women in Botswana, and the other of heterosexual couples in Kenya and Uganda, found Truvada significantly reduced the risk of transmission in study participants.
In the HPTN study, 82% of the transmissions occurred in Africa. Researchers say more frequent sexual activity and less condom use could be a reason for increased transmission there. Study investigators also saw higher viral loads in HIV patients in sub-Saharan Africa versus patients from developed countries.
Adverse events most often reported included infections, gastrointestinal problems, nervous system disorders and psychiatric issues. Some patients were found to have pulmonary tuberculosis; the majority of those cases were seen in India. More adverse events were seen in patients that got the drugs early. Study authors say the reason is unclear and more follow-up is necessary.
Researchers admit the study, funded by NIAID, is not without limitations. They say the couples were "stable" and possibly not representative of the general population. They were also counseled and given condoms, which authors say could have contributed to the low rate of infection.
New data from the iPrEx study is also being released this week at international AIDS meeting. In iPrEx, a trial that spanned four continents, daily PrEP with Truvada reduced HIV infections in men who have sex with men, or MSM. It was one of the largest studies ever conducted and the first in Asia or Africa that focused on MSM. Eleven new analyses will be presented.
"These new analyses confirm the safety and efficacy of PrEP in MSM and strengthen our belief that PrEP is an important HIV prevention tool with the potential to prevent significant number s of new HIV infections," said iPrEx Protocol Chair Dr. Robert Grant, Gladstone Institutes and the University of California at San Francisco. "When we viewed along with the Partners PrEP and TD2 data in heterosexual men and women, these findings make a compelling case that providing broad access to PrEP could reduce the human and financial cost of the epidemic significantly."

6 comments:

  1. AQUILA i say a big thank you to Dr SAGO who help me to
    cure my HIV/AID, please help me to give thanks to him he is a great man who God send from heaven to save people's life, when i contacted this deadly virus i thought that was the end of the world for me little did i know that there is a man called DR SAGO OF AFRICA who has made a breakthrough in the cure of HIV and cancer cure with herbs when i confided in a friend here in south Africa he told me about this this man called DR SAGO and how he cured the mum and dad of HIV after two years of living with this deadly diseases he told me of the cost and procedure i felt it was worth a try after i have been spending so much in the drugs to make me live like a every normal human being so i contacted DR SAGO and did as he commanded without missing words he did all he needed to do and sent me the herbs here in south Africa i took it as he directed it was exactly seven days as DR SAGO has spoken when he emailed me and told me to go for a check up again and i went to my greatest surprise it was negative i felt it was a dream so i went to three different hospital and it was still negative then i cried out in a loud voice and people gathered in the hospital and i told them my story in tears how this man called DR SAGO have saved my life and they started demanding for his mail to contact him it was only last week my friend Vanessa who was HIV positive came back from visiting DR SAGO as a healthy woman i told her about DR SAGO you can reach him through his email address sagohivcureherbalcenter@gmail.com he never fails hold on my friend dont cry no more when our helper is here i believe in him he am sure you will be lucky as i am too just email him on sagohivcureherbalcenter@gmail.com he is a savior of life here is his contact line +2348133349055

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was diagnosed of herpes 3 years, and ever since then i have been taking treatment to prevent outbreaks, burning and blisters, but there was no improvement until i came across testimonies of Dr. VOODOO on how he has been curing different people from different diseases all over the world, then i contacted him. After our conversation he sent me the medicine which i took according to his instructions for up to 2 weeks. After completing the medication i went back to my doctor for another test and the virus was all gone and i was completely cured, since then i have not had any signs of outbreak. I'm so filled with joy. With herbal medication Herpes Virus is 100% curable. I refer Dr VOODOO to everyone out there with the virus Email: voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com Add Dr voodoo on whatsApp +2348140120719

      Delete

  2. Am olivia by name am from ontario, i married to Andrew in the year 2012 and we both have two kids Mirabel and Chris, as at then my husband was so caring all of a sudden i receive a letter from the court behold it was a divorce my husband is seeking divorce and i was totally confused and i don’t know what to do he actually did divorce me and move to Detroit where i heard that he has remarried and i couldn’t help it all what i want is to be with him to fulfill the vows we both made to each other.one day i came across a testimony of how a spell caster DR osaze of oosaspelltemple help restore one marriage and i decided to contact this spell caster and he told me that all will be well if only i can do what he ask for and i actually did it and in less than 48 minutes my husband came back to me and said that he is sorry and ready to settle down with me now and forever and we are both happily living together now and we had another child now Christiana, i will like anyone who is reading this testimony now and have similar problems should please contact him here is his email oosaspelltemple@live.com he is a very good man.once again thank you Dr osaze

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello i am Jessica Morgan from united kingdom let me share this testimony to the world to hear about him too this man really exit I was HIV positive over 9year I have being in medication and I try to look for cure to my problem and I go through internet doctor and I found a tradition doctor named DR.Ekpiku I contacted him for help he give me all his laws and rule that if I get cured I should write about him and that is what i'm doing now, this man ask for some information about me, which I give him this man cure me from HIV what a great man thank for your help when he get the information he told me that he is about to work on it 20 to 30 minute this man email me and told me what to do for the curing which I did after all the things needed for the cure is provide the man call me in 24 hours later and tell me to go for test what a great day to me I was negative thanks Dr.Ekpiku contact him email address, ekpikuspellhomeofgrace@hotmail.com or ekpikuspellhomeofgrace@gmail.com THESE ARE THE THINGS Dr. Ekpiku. . HERPES . HIV/AIDS . CANCER

    ReplyDelete
  4. Am Tanya Albert, Herpes wanted to destroy me, but with the help of Dr.Ekpiku i escaped the death that was on my way, i am here to testifies on how Dr Ekpiku help me to cure my sickness called Herpes which has been eating me up for 2 years and 4 months, i also saw online how he has cured so many people, Dr Ekpiku is a great herbalist that treats and cure all manner of diseases like Herpes, HIV, Cancer, Syphilis, Hepatitis B, all types of Cancer, Gonorrhea, and solves life's problems that you might have etc.. contact him today and he will help you solved your problem, contact him via ekpikuspelhomeofgrace@gmail.com or ekpikuspelhomeofgrace@hotmail.com call +2348073673757 OR whatsapp him. THESE ARE THE THINGS Dr. Ekpiku. HERPES. HIV/AIDS. CANCER.

    ReplyDelete

  5. I have been suffering hardship from HIV/AIDS since 7yrs now, and i happen to have 2 kids for my husband, and now we cannot proceed to have another kids all because of my disease and now i have do all what a human like i and my husband can do just to get my disease healed, i have went to several places to seek for help not even one person could ever help, until i melt a comment on the daily news paper that was commented by Desmond about how this powerful traditional doctor help him get cured of the disease (HIV-AIDS) " my fellow beloved" i firstly taught having a help from a spiritual traditional healer was a wrong idea, but i think of these, will i continue to stress on these disease all day when i have someone to help me save my life?" so i gather all my faiths and put in all interest to contact him through his Email address at Dr.jartospellcaster@gmail.com so after i have mailed him of helping get my disease cured, he respond to me fast as possible that i should not be afraid, that he is a truthful and powerful doctor which i firstly claimed him to be. So after all set has been done, he promise me that i will be healed but on a condition that i provide him some items and obeyed all his oracle said. I did all by accepting his oracles fact and only to see that after some weeks of taking his herbal medicine i notice some changes in my body system and i went for check up the day he ask me to go for check up to confirm if the sickness was still there,to my greatest surprise i could not find any sickness in my body i was first shocked and later arise to be the happiest woman on earth after i have concluded my final test on the hospital by my doctor that i am now HIV- Negative. My papers for check are with me and now i am happy and glad for his miraculous help and power. With these i must tell everyone who might seek for any help, either for HIV cure or much more to contact him now at these following email now, Email: Dr.jartospellcaster@gmail.com" sir thank you so much for your immediate cure of my disease, i must say a big thanks for curing my disease, i owe you in return. Thanks and be blessed sir. Sandy Fletcher

    ReplyDelete